For information about Betty de Rothschild, for whom that settlement was named after - click here
In 1889, Bat Shlomo was founded as a daughter-settlement of Zichron Ya'akov, on lands purchased by the Baron Rothschild, and it was named after Shlomo (Salomon) Rothschild, the grandfather of the Baron (who was also his uncle), and his daughter Betty (Batya) - the Baron's mother.
The settlement was founded as a farming settlement, originally based on growing grapevines. The original character of the first immigration-settlement was preserved, and houses of stone and little farms are scattered along the main road of the old settlement. Four pillars stand at the entrance to the street, which were used to hold the settlement's water tank, that supplied water to the houses and to the purifying Mikvah near the pool. Next to the pool is a guard post from the Jewish struggle for independence. Along the road are the houses of the Schwartzman and Bachor families, and Dr. Levita. Additionally there is a synagogue on the street, with a chanukiah on its roof. At the end of the street is a house that was used as a school, in which all the students of all the ages learned with one teacher. The teacher himself lived in one of the rooms and he subsisted on hospitality from the students' families. At the edge of the street are remnants of a passageway, which served the passers on the main road, which connected Syria and the beach area.
Today's Bat Shlomo is comprised of the old settlement and the settlement that was established in 1951 by immigrants from Yemen and Transylvania. Today the settlement belongs to the regional council, and its southern part (the settlement road) was declared a conservation area. The residents of the settlement make a living from farming deciduous groves, loquats and cattle pastures, but most of them have independent professions.
Surrounding the pastoral settlement, patches of plantations are revealed in the valleys, hills adorned with natural woods and pasturing grounds. South of Wadi Milk Street are remnants woods from a Kakal (Keren Kayemet Leyisrael), and south of the settlement is Chorshan Mountan, popular amongst travelers on bikes or Jeeps.
Source of information:
For information about the woman for whom that settlement was named after: